Treatment for Female Sexual Dysfunction
Did you believe that only males encountered bedroom issues? Well, if you did, you were wrong! Women experience issues with sexual satisfaction too. The medical fraternity refers to it as female sexual dysfunction (FSD).
Common Forms of FSD
According to global statistics, around 30%-40% of women suffer from FSD. Age and stage of life are no barriers for the entry of this condition. FSD may prove to be short-term or long-term.
FSD may show up in four common ways.
- Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder – There is no desire for intimacy, indicating a low libido.
- Anorgasmia – The person is incapable of having an orgasm (orgasmic disorder).
- Sexual Arousal Disorder – There is an inability to become aroused for sexual intimacy.
- Dyspareunia – The female experiences deep pain during intimacy.
Causes of FSD
Even the causes are varied. FSD may take place before, during, or after intercourse.
- Sometimes, existing health conditions become obstacles to healthy sexual enjoyment. Such illnesses, include coronary disease, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, etc.
- Unhealthy habits, such as chronic smoking/drinking, or consumption of illicit drugs, are culprits too.
- Certain medications, such as anti-depressants, may inhibit sexual function. It happens with chemotherapy (treatment for cancer) too.
- Sexual arousal in the vagina, labia, and clitoris is possible, only if they receive a healthy blood supply. Poor blood supply is a restricting factor.
- Some women experience frequent hormonal imbalances. In turn, there is vaginal atrophy or vaginal dryness. Intimacy becomes painful. Pregnancy, low estrogen levels, menopause, and surgery are other causes for hormones to go haywire.
- Gynecologic conditions (cysts, fibroids, etc.) are responsible for FSD too.
- Memories of sexual/physical abuse result in a terrible fear of intimacy. There is fear and anxiety, resulting in frigid behavior.
- Depression leads to a low libido and disinterest in anything. The feelings of hopelessness and despair are prominent.
- Sometimes, the sexual partner is unable to give satisfaction. Therefore, a relationship issue leads to FSD.
- Mental stress increase cortisol levels. Therefore, the sex drive lowers drastically. The stress occurs at home, or at work.