The Benoquin cream is being used for depigmentation in the final stage of the vitiligo. It is a skin condition in which irregular patches of skin that covers up to fifty percent of the body surface lose color and become whitened. The Generic name of this medicine is Monobenzone. Monobenzone is the monobenzone ether of hydroquinone. This Monobenzone is a kind of white and almost tasteless crystalline powder. The Benoquin cream is a depigmenting agent. The application of monobenzone in animals in a topical way augments the excretion of melanin from the melanocytes. In humans, too, the depigmenting effect of the drug is being observed by experts.
It must be noted that the effect is very erratic. The time of action of the drug ranges from one to four months. The existing melanin is being removed with normal sloughing of the stratum corneum. The skin that is hyperpigmented appears to fade in a very rapid manner as compared to normal skin. It must be remembered that after using the Benoquin cream, exposure to sunlight reduces the effect of the depigmentation of this medicine. This cream works by causing free radical formation in the skin. After using this derma cream, the skin is the same as it is seen in the vitiligo, and the epidermis of the skin is normal, except for the absence of the melanocytes that were identifiable.
Dosage- In the form of Benoquin 20
● Apply a thin layer of Benoquin cream on your skin.
● Rub it into the pigmented area two or three times a day, or you can use it as directed by your physician.
● While you are using the Benoquin cream, you are advised to avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight.
● After getting the desired degree of depigmentation, you need to apply the Benoquin cream only when you need to maintain depigmentation, that is, twice weekly.
When it comes to the storage of Benoquin; you must keep in mind the following factors:
- Store the Benoquin cream in a cool and dry place.
- Benoquin cream must be less than 25 degrees centigrade.
- People who live in the tropics must store the Benoquin cream in a cool and dry corner of the house.
- Store the Benoquin cream away from the effect of sunlight.
- Try to keep your pets far away from the Benoquin cream.
- Do not store the Benoquin cream in your washroom, as extreme temperature and heat can alter the efficacy of the Benoquin cream.
- While you are traveling in any place that has humid weather, do not store the Benoquin cream in the glove box or in the dashboard
- Keep the Benoquin cream away from the reach of your children.
- In case the Benoquin medicine has expired, wrap it in a paper bag and dispose of it in a safe manner.
General instruction regarding Benoquin cream
- Try to avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight while you are using this Benoquin cream.
- You can use a sunscreen lotion to avoid the effects of sunlight on your skin while you are using the Benoquin cream.
- If you have missed a dosage of this medicine, you must apply it as soon as it is possible.
You must consult a doctor before you apply the Benoquin cream.
● Try to keep this Benoquin cream out of the reach of the children. In case if you do observe accidental ingestion of this cream, immediately call a doctor or a Poison control center.
● Do not use the Benoquin cream except for the final depigmentation in case of extensive vitiligo.
● It must be noted that the Benoquin cream is for external use only.
● The skin of the patient after the application of the Benoquin cream would be sensitive for the rest of their life.
● The Benoquin cream is a potent depigmenting agent and not a mild cosmetic bleach.
● Due to the sensitivity of the skin, the patient must apply sunscreen while going out for a prolonged period in the sunlight.
● The Benoquin cream would only be recommended for a woman who is pregnant. It is extremely necessary for her health.
● If there is a burning sensation, irritation, or dermatitis, the treatment of Benoquin cream must be discontinued.
● Extreme caution must be maintained when this cream is being administered to nursing mothers.
● You must not overapply with this cream to get your desired result.
● If in case, you have applied an extra quantity of the medicine, you must wipe it up with the help of a cotton tissue.
● You must consult your doctor if you are taking any other kind of medicine to avoid any sort of reaction with the Benoquin cream.
● You must note that the discoloration of the skin with the usage of this Benoquin cream is permanent.
● The Benoquin cream causes destruction of the melanocytes that are remaining in the skin.
It is impossible for medicine to exists without some side effects. You can definitely purchase the Benoquin cream if your doctor has advised you to do so, but you must also take into cognizance the presence of some minor side effects that you might encounter while you are using the Benoquin cream. Let us look into the possible side effects of Benoquin cream before you start using this medicine.
- You might become sensitive to sunlight and UV rays after using this medicinal cream.
- The Benoquin cream can result in irritation of your skin.
- The Benoquin cream can result in permanent depigmentation in the surrounding areas of the skin.
- The Benoquin cream can result in a burning sensation in the skin.
There are very few patients who have reported the side effect of using Benoquin cream. The advantages of using the Benoquin cream in the case of vitiligo are way greater than the side effects. In most cases, the minor side effects go away on their own, but in case it seems to be serious, you are advised to consult a doctor.